Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2015

Intelligence Theory


Intelligence is one's ability to adapt to their environment. British psychologist Charles Spearman (1836-1945) described a concept he referred to as general intelligence, or the g factor. After using a technique known as factor analysis to examine a number of mental aptitude tests, Spearman concluded that scores on these tests were surprisingly similar. People who performed well on one cognitive test tended to perform well on other tests, while those who scored badly on one test tended to score badly on others. 
He concluded that intelligence is general cognitive ability that could be measured and numerically expressed  
 Schaie, K. W. (2010). Primary mental abilities. Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology.                                                           
 Howard Gardner - Multiple Intelligences:
Instead of focusing on the analysis of test scores, Gardner proposed that numerical expressions of human intelligence are not a full and accurate depiction of people's abilities. His theory describes eight distinct intelligences that are based on skills and abilities that are valued within different cultures.
The eight intelligences Gardner described are:
· Visual-spatial Intelligence
· Verbal-linguistic Intelligence
· Bodily-kinesthetic Intelligence
· Logical-mathematical Intelligence
· Interpersonal Intelligence
· Musical Intelligence
· Intra personal Intelligence
· Naturalistic Intelligence
Gardner, H., & Hatch, T. (1989). Educational implications of the theory of multiple intelligences. Educational researcher18(8), 4-10.

Louis L. Thurstone : Primary Mental Abilities 
Psychologist Louis L. Thurstone (1887-1955) offered a differing theory of intelligence. His theory is a model of human intelligence that challenged Charles Spearman's then-dominant view of intelligence. Instead of viewing intelligence as a single, general ability, Thurstone's theory focused on seven different “primary mental abilities” The abilities that he described were:
· Verbal comprehension
· Reasoning
· Perceptual speed
· Numerical ability
· Word fluency
· Associative memory
· Spatial visualization
 Plucker, J. A., & Esping, A. (Eds.). (2014). Human intelligence: Historical influences, current controversies, teaching resources. Retrieved [April 22, 2015], from http://www.intelltheory.com.


Robert Sternberg - Triarchic Theory of Intelligence:
Psychologist Robert Sternberg defined intelligence as "mental activity directed toward purposive adaptation to, selection and shaping of, real-world environments relevant to one’s life.” While he agreed with Gardner that intelligence is much broader than a single, general ability, he instead suggested some of Gardner's intelligences are better viewed as individual talents. Sternberg proposed what he refers to as 'successful intelligence,' which is comprised of three different factors:


         Analytical Intelligence:This component refers to problem-solving abilities.
Creative Intelligence: This aspect of intelligence involves the ability to deal with new situations using past experiences and current skills.
Practical Intelligence: This element refers to the ability to adapt to a changing environment.


Sternberg, R. J. (1997). The triarchic theory of intelligence. Guilford Press.

When I was younger,school had always come pretty easy to me, it wasn't until I started taking the ACT test that I felt I was being misrepresented. Sitting in a class room with absolutely no noise, knowing that I had to make a good score on this test, stressed me out. It was really difficult for me to take standardized tests. I never made scores that were even close to what my friends made and I felt stupid. I thought to myself how can I be an honor student but yet make such a low score on the ACT? It is this experience that makes me favor Gardner's multiple intelligence theory. I strongly believe that test scores alone do not accurately represent someone's intelligence level.


Knowing the different intelligence theories helps me ,as a future teacher, to be aware that all students are intelligent in their own ways. That being said it is my job to help them and give them the opportunities to express their different intelligences. I do not want any of my students to feel that they are not smart or that they cannot accomplish what they want. By knowing the Intelligence theories and knowing my students this will better equip me to help better equip my students. 

1 comment: