Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Gender Roles~Kholberg

Lawrence Kohlberg suggested that children had made a cognitive judgement about their gender identity before they selected same sex models for sex typed behaviors. Kholberg created the three steps for his Gender Constancy Theory. When a children had achieved gender consistency, they are highly motivated to make their behavior consistent with their self concept of their own gender. By the age six years, children become extremely intolerant of others who violates traditional standards of masculinity or femininity when acquire gender constancy.The nine year old children are less chauvinistic about sex role standards and sex typed activities. They are able more able to think abstractly and see the arbitrary nature of many sex role stereotypes. They have a more flexible view of sex role standards as social conventions rather than moral absolutes which everyone must obey.
McLeod, S. A. (2011). Kohlberg. Retrieved from http://www.simplypsychology.org/kohlberg.html

I can relate very well with this because of the experience I have with my sister. She is two years old and she thinks that because she is a girl, that everyone is a girl like her. She does not understand why boys do not wear hair bows too. It is interesting to see how she develops and starts to understand the differences. Learning this theory has helped me to understand the stages my sister is in.
Knowing about gender role development will help me greatly in the future, because being able to understand what stage my students are in will make me a better teacher. Even though I do not believe that gender is changeable I do not agrre with the strict gender stereotypes. Everyone has different personalities and these stereotypes can cause people to feel self conscious because they don't fit the mold perfectly.


No comments:

Post a Comment